First I gathered all the necessities:
- an old frame (bought one at an antique shop for $20)
- some lace (this is a table runner from Dollarama)
- staple gun
Not pictured here, but also used are: Fabri-Tac (glue), and PL Premium (used as wood glue)
Next I removed the back of the frame, pulled out all the old nails and bits of rough wood. I used Pledge and a cloth to give the frame a really good cleaning - as you can see by the dirt on the cloth - it needed it !!
At this time I noticed that two parts of the frame were not as securely attached as I would have liked, and that is where the PL premium came into play - just ran a bead of it around the frame where the two parts attach on the back to give it a little more support.
Next I placed the lace over the frame and cut it so that it was a fair bit bigger than I needed. I wanted to be sure I would have some to pull on to ensure I tight fit.
This is also my first time using the staple gun, so I knew I didn't want to have my fingers too close to the gun - haha !
I stapled the lace on, starting in the centre of each side, and working toward the corners (like I have seen on various DIY shows over the years, but usually they were talking about upholstering something).
Next I trimmed the lace to fit, and then ran some Fabri-Tac glue around the edge, just to help the lace and wood become good, good friends : )
If you look closely, you can see the Fabri-Tac glue on the lace, and the PL Premium where the two frames meet.
I left the frame to dry over night ...
And this morning I stood it up on my dresser, and hung all my earrings on it. I am really quite pleased with the result !!
I have so many post earrings, that I knew lace was the way to go for me, plus I wanted a more vintage look.
If you decide to make your own, please post a link below so I can check it out.