Started out with my cutting mat, rotary cutting tools, and a pile of old t-shirts.
I cut up the shirts into strips approximately 5 to 6 inches long, and 1.5 to 2 inches wide.
I kept my strips in piles by colour, and grabbed a little of each as i went along so that i wouldn't run out of any colour too early.
As it turned out, I cut up about 10 shirts, and I still have enough to make another rug .
Better save than sorry I suppose.
I cut one row at a time of slits at a time (until I got near the end and had less patience). This was mainly because I found it difficult to see the slits, and didn't want to end up with wonky rows. I know it doesn't have to be perfect, but I tend to be a little obsessive-complusive at times ...
I started with the finished rows near me, but ended up flipping it around after the first 5 rows or so because it was too difficult to feed the pieces through with all the finished ends in the way.
In order to make it easier, I just rolled up the un-used portion of the grey shirt, and found it was a lot better for feeding the pieces through quickly and easy.
It took me a couple of rows until I got the "hang of it" and didn't have to think about what I was doing as much.
A close up shot to show you the little slits.
I made my slits using my small rotary cutting tool, because the idea of snipping all the holes with scissors was just too much to handle.
The finished "back" side of the rug. It's pretty pretty if you ask me !!
Finished Project -- I am really really pleased with how this turned out. I will most definitely be making more, to gift no doubt !!